5 Tweaks To Your Used Car Sales Pitch To Try Today
As a used car salesperson, you have an even greater responsibility than dealers who are selling factory-new vehicles with full warranties. You have to entice buyers to purchase a car that had an unknown past life before ending up on your dealership lot.
No matter how much (or little) experience you may have selling cars, there are a few universal techniques that can make you be the best-used car salesperson at your dealership. After all, the sale is only part of the equation. Creating an enjoyable and memorable customer experience is something entirely different, which is what you want to achieve.
Below are five compelling ways you can be the best used car salesperson:
- Treat customers equally: There are two significant examples when it comes to treating your customers equally. The first is when a couple is coming in to purchase a car. Don’t alienate one customer, just because the other appears to be the one with money or the decision-maker. Ask them questions to get to know them on a real level.
Another example is when it comes to the vehicle(s) they are looking at. Each customer has their wants and needs in a car, and it’s your job to help fulfill those needs. Don’t give any special attention to the customer who is interested in the big-ticket vehicle if you don’t provide that same service to someone looking at a more humble purchase.
- Remember names: Simply put, remembering a customer’s name creates a more personal car buying process rather than a transaction. Whether you have to write down their name or recite it to yourself a few times, remembering names is a prominent attribute of a successful salesperson. It also shows the customer that you were listening and weren’t just reciting a line when they walked inside.
- Ask questions: 60% of customers are unsure of what car to buy, which is why asking questions is a critical part of the car buying process. Find out who would be driving the car, what it would be used for, what are the must-haves for the car, and what are the dealbreakers. Make sure you know your inventory. Otherwise, you won’t be able to assist customers in choosing their next vehicle adequately. Based on their answers, it’ll allow you to cross-sell or upsell on a car they never thought of but ends up being what they need.
- Don’t bash other dealerships: Although it’s tempting to want to talk negatively about your competition, it’s better to listen and explain how you’re different. What are exclusive warranties or deals available only at your dealership? Where do you acquire your inventory? By focusing on the unique benefits that your dealership offers, it eliminates any negative impressions you might leave on your potential buyers. Bashing a competitor can backfire, making your confidence in your own dealership seem diminished in the eyes of your customers.
- Follow up with your customers: A lot of dealers make a mistake thinking as soon as a customer drives off the lot in their new car, they don’t need to follow up with them. One short call a week or so after the purchase to see how a customer likes their new car shows customer appreciation beyond the sale. This can also be achieved in a thank-you note sent via email, with a little blurb asking them to keep you in mind for any future purchases or referrals.
Be sure to also follow up with your customers who weren’t quite ready to make a purchase. Get their contact information and let them know you’ll be following up with them. Perhaps find out what their preferred method of communication is, so you know the best way to get ahold of them. A great opportunity to reach out is when you have new inventory that matches what they were looking for. Now your call is thoughtful and informative, not just a follow-up to see if they’re still in the market. Don’t be pushy when you do call them. Offer to answer any questions they might have so they know you’re here to assist them in finding their new car, not just someone making a commission off their sale.
Whether you try one or all of these methods for your used car sales pitch, they are guaranteed to help you improve your interaction with customers to be on a deeper level and increase dealership sales.